Some food porn for y’all.
Recipe coming… once I sober up.
*After getting home, 2 hours after the initial posting*
Ramp & Carrot Soup
- Fresh ramps, 3/4 of a pound
- Half an onion
- 1 large carrot or 3 smaller carrots
- Veggie, Chicken or Pork, Broth, 5-6 cups (less broth will make a thicker, heartier soup)
- Basil Leaf (Garnish, 1 per bowl)
- Garlic, 2-3 cloves
- Heavy Smoked Paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Chicken/pork/veggie bouillon
- Medium Size Saucepan
- Chinois, fine mesh strainer or some fine cheesecloth
- Wood spoon or silicone/rubber baking spatula
- Immersion Blender, food processor or regular blender
- Start heating , on medium-high, the broth ’till it boils then reduce the temperature to low heat. Add bouillon at this phase if desired.
- Loosely chop ramps, leaves and stalks, discard the ends of the stalks.
- Peel and chop the onions
- Peel and chop the carrots
- Add the chopped veggies, and whole garlic cloves to the broth. Raise the heat back to a medium setting, allow to return to a slow boil.
- Once boiled, turn off the heat and add the soup, carefully, to the blender or food processor. Remember, hot soups tend to expand in these so pour only a tiny bit at a time less you end up with hot soup all over you and your kitchen.
- If using an immersion blender, just blend all of that in the pot
- Either way, blend until smooth
- Into a large serving/mixing/whatever bowl, strain the soup though using the chinois or cheese cloth or strainer. Be sure to use your wood spoon or spatula to squeeze out all the soup. Discard the chunky bits.
- Serve the soup in bowls with a pinch of smoked paprika (seriously, just a tiny bit) and garnish with a basil leaf.
- Salt and pepper to taste