Tangy Tuscan Kale Salad with Fragrant Orange Quinoa and Red Onions
So normally I make my kale salads with tahini for a thick and creamy dressing but sometimes I want to nix the fat content as much as possible so here one with apple cider vinegar instead for a salad that is soft but still raw.
- 1 Bunch of tuscan kale, center stem removed
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 a small red onion, sliced
- 1 cup of Cooked and cooled Quinoa
- Optional: 1/8th tsp of orange extract
- Sugar to taste
- Cook the quinoa (2 parts water, 1 part quinoa) and allow to cool, you can cook the quinoa using the extract for a more aromatic dish
- In a mixing bowl, combine the vinegar and just enough sugar to take most of the bite out of the vinegar
- Add the red onion and allow to sit for 5 minutes
- In the meantime, chop the kale into a mouth manageable size
- Then massage the kale into the vinegar and allow to sit for 10 minutes, mixing periodically, allowing the acids to break down the green
- Finally, add the cooled quinoa and mix it all in
When I cook for myself I tend to stray to the healthier side so I add very little sugar to mine. Others might need anywhere from 1/4 tsp to a tbsp depending on how much you enjoy acidity. Either way, it’s a quick and simple dish you can make rather quickly and it has the potential to be ridiculously healthy.